The Correct Way to Wash Your Hands
The coronavirus pandemic has forced everyone to re-evaluate their usual cleaning habits. This includes when and how to wash your hands in order to limit the spread of infection. Health organisations around the world have advised people to wash their hands regularly using a stringent method often employed by doctors and health professionals. This blog post contains helpful step-by-step instructions on the correct way to wash your hands to reduce the risk of catching or spreading illness.
A Step-By-Step Guide to Washing Your Hands
Before going into the steps, it’s important to first know when you should be washing your hands. You’ve been told to wash your hands more often, but you don’t want to spend the better part of the day with your hands under a tap. There are key times when you should wash your hands, including:
- Before and after preparing or eating food
- After blowing your nose
- After coughing or sneezing into your hands
- After using the toilet
- After touching or handling garbage
- Before and after being near someone who is sick
We also suggest washing your hands after touching surfaces that are likely to have been touched by other people, such as door handles, communal sink taps and more.
When washing your hands, it’s recommended that you follow this procedure:
- Wet your hands with warm water
- Apply soap to cover both hands, front and back
- Rub your hands together
- Use one hand to rub the back of the other and in between the fingers, repeating this for the other hand
- Rub the back of your fingers against your palms
- Rub your thumb using one hand, repeating the process for the other thumb
- Rub your palm using the tips of your fingers, repeating this for the other palm
- Rinse your hands with clean warm water
- Dry your hands and turn off the tap using a disposable towel
For the best results, this process should take about 20 seconds, which is about the length of time it takes to sing Happy Birthday twice.
Find the Washroom & Cafeteria Supplies You Need Today
TigerPak Packaging stocks a range of effective washroom and cafeteria supplies that can be used to maintain excellent hygiene and sanitation. In particular, we have a wide range of hand soaps available, all of which can be used to keep your hands clean. From liquid hand soaps and hand cleaners through to body cleansing lotions and more, you’ll find them all online ready for prompt dispatch and delivery. Browse our range and order online today, or submit an enquiry to learn more.
March 23, 2020